Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, April 9, 2010

Stomach Bug on Easter??

The Saturday before Easter we spent at home doing yard work and things around the house. Late in the morning Isaiah started having some runny diapers. He didn't eat much the whole day and ran a fever so we just thought he had the stomach bug that was going around.

So we stayed home from church, not wanting to expose anyone to what he had, and consequently missed out on all the Easter celebrations with family. I was very bummed...but we rented a few movies and made the best out of the day. We had an egg hunt that morning for the boys and that put a smile on their face (and mine!)

On Monday I took Isaiah to the doctor because he was running a pretty high fever Sunday and through the night and I was worried. Dr. B told me it was a virus (the typical answer these days!) and that he was contagious. She did a blood count but all was normal with that. She wanted me to send in a stool sample so they could check for other, more serious problems. Reluctantly, I went home with the sample cup.

I had no idea when I would be able to get this sample in because Isaiah was having these little "squirt" diapers and there was practically nothing for me to be able to use. Luckly, he had 3 bad diapers in a matter of 4 minutes (the story of my life over the weekend...we went through a whole package of diapers in 2 days!!) and I was able to get a little that I thought the lab could work with. So I loaded the boys up in the car and headed off to the hospital.

Over the next two days Isaiah seemed like he was getting better. His fevers had lowered and his runny diapers were not nearly as bad or very many. So I decided to take him to playgroup. (I needed a break!) He had started out whiny that morning but I thought he was teething.... WRONG! About halfway through playgroup he had a fever of 102 degrees again! So we left right away, for fear of getting other kids sick. I called the doctor to ask about the results from the stool sample and they hadn't gotten them from the lab yet. So the nurse said she would call me when she got ahold of them.

Thursday morning I had a voicemail from Dr. B's office so I called to see what they found out. Turns out Isaiah had Salmonella poisioning!!!!!!! Oh my word!! Where did he get that? HOW did he get that?? I still don't know! Luckly they called in a script for amoxicillin and he would hopefully be feeling better soon. Within just about 12 hours from first taking the meds I could already see signs of Isaiah improving. I was relieved to know that he wasn't contagious to other kids (unless they touched his dirty diapers) but still perplexed as to how my son got this. Apparently, because of his age, even if the whole family ate the same thing, it would affect him differently. Poor baby...this was terrible on all of us, but mosly him! He was so miserable. I was so glad when he started having normal diapers again and was feeling more like himself. I hate it when my kids are sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment