Woke up feeling very emotional today. Last night we used Emily's Ipad to facetime with the boys. It was so good to see them and hear how much fun they were having, but my poor Jacob was not doing as great. Not only did we just rock his world by leaving him but he's getting his molars in and is just miserable, and I feel completely helpless that I can't comfort him myself.
After devotional and breakfast (which was pancakes today!!) we head out for the village. Today we are greeted by a few of the children as we arrive: Katarin and her little sister Rosa and Juan Carlo and his brothers. They are so excited to see us, and my mood is changed right away as I realize how excited I am to see them too!
After no moms showed up yesterday for any classes, we had to 'light a fire' so to speak and give them a reason to come. The pastor David told them we would stop drilling if they didn't come to the classes...so here they are! We are very elated to see so many come this morning!
We start with Theresa's lesson on germ transmission. As she is preparing, we realize that all of her supplies were left at the house. She decides to improvise with a makeshift fly & homemade poop (play dough rolled in dirt) and I think it was actually better that her prepared supplies! So she starts teaching and the frequent used word 'kaka' is a hit with the children! After the lesson, we have the children make mozquas (flies) out of pipe cleaners. As this is a little advanced for most of the children, we get down and help them with their flies. They all love them! I think a few even brought their mozquas back the next day!
After the craft, Karen sat with the moms on a class about diarrhea and oral re hydration. We kept the kids occupied by playing our own version of duck duck goose. Theresa didn't know the Spanish word for goose (and neither did our translator Scarleth) so we called it 'pato, pato, pollo' (duck, duck, chicken). And the kids ate up this game! One of my favorite memories about the week so far!
At about 11, we broke for lunch. This is earlier than usual, but we told the kids to go home and eat their lunch and we would meet back at 1:30. Before we even started lunch, they were at the fence waiting for us. As much as we hated telling them to leave, we definitely didn't want to eat our lunch in front of them. Lunch today was tuna on top of rice. Not one of my favorites, but I ate it because I was hungry and knew a granola wasn't going to get me through the day. After lunch we are escorted by our new friends, who love to help us carry stuff. Its a big help with that heavy trunk!
We reviewed Theresa's lesson in the afternoon and then did a Bible story and a craft. The kids were pretty rambunctious today, so we decided to bring out the 'sports bag' early. Bringing out the fun stuff too early meant 2 whole hours of non-stop playing with the kids! I have to admit, at times I wished I was sitting with the big group of kids who were blowing bubbles! I was definitely worn out at the end of the day!
As we walked back up to the site, Lauren and I talked about how tired were were after throwing frisbees for 2 hours. We both realized that we had never just sat and played, non stop, with our kids. That was so convicting for me. I know this is one of the things God wanted to show me on this trip. I pray that I will remember this day every time my boys ask me to play with them and I am tempted to say no because of all the 'busyness'. Life is too short and they grow up way too fast.
We were happy to hear that the drillers had made great progress today! And they were dirty!! Today was the dirtiest day for everyone!
I love this picture of Jim!
Emilita!!
After cleaning up at the house, we had dinner. It was fried chicken and we couldn't get enough of it! The best meal so far! After a cutting out what seemed like a thousand Senor Diente for Lauren's lesson, we turned in early and hoped all would get a good night's sleep.





No comments:
Post a Comment